Saturday, December 31, 2011

Coaching carousel, 12/31

Quick hits from the coaching rumor mill:

* Jon Gruden told the Tampa Tribune today that he's "staying put" at ESPN. "I love my job and I'll be back at ESPN with the guys. I'm not going anywhere." The article did not address recent scathing comments directed at Gruden by former NFL head of officials Mike Pereira, but the MNF crew is covering the Outback Bowl for ESPN on Monday. Will be interesting to hear if Gruden has anything to say during the broadcast.

* The San Diego Union-Tribune says that the Chargers are "all but certain" to fire Norv Turner next week. I don't know what to think about Turner. He could be extremely useful to the Rams working with Sam Bradford. But I really don't want him within a 39-and-a-half-foot pole of the head coaching job.

* The Titans could be an unexpected participant in the annual offseason job fair. Penn State has reportedly targeted their head coach, Mike Munchak, to replace Joe Paterno. An ESPN.com article today reports Munchak's "heart is torn" between staying in Tennessee or returning to help his troubled alma mater.

-$-

No comments: