Saturday, January 12, 2013

Rams report, 1/11: Rams pursuing Rob Ryan?

Photo - USA Today
Brian Costello of the New York Post tweeted Friday night that the Rams had hired Rob Ryan as their new defensive coordinator. This report was debunked by Jim Thomas, who tweeted the Rams had not hired Ryan but are interested and even intrigued with him. Thomas says Jeff Fisher is still very early in the process of hiring a DC. Costello's most recent tweet on the subject says Rams-Ryan is not a "done deal" but "still sounds like it will get done."

So, stay tuned, I guess. I still fail to see the logic in hiring Ryan after all the talk about Blake Williams getting fired because he didn't get along well with his players and fellow coaches. Also, if Ryan comes here and the Rams do well in 2013, he'll be out of here in "like five minutes" to go after a head-coaching job of his own. Can't say I  get the attraction.

* This weekend's picks, so you know who to bet against:
- Denver over Baltimore. I love all the stats coming out this week about how bad Peyton Manning is supposed to be outdoors when it's cold. Y'all know Baltimore isn't that good against the run, right? (20th) You know Denver IS good against the run, right? (3rd) And they tied with the Rams for most sacks in the league? If Joe Flacco outduels Peyton with all that going against him, shame on me, I guess.
- San Francisco over Green Bay. I smell upset here a lot sooner than I smell one in Denver. The Packers have played better down the stretch. But with Justin Smith back, I think the 49ers are going to win in the trenches, and Aaron Rodgers is going to have to do a lot of running for his life. And I don't think the Pack can handle Colin Kaepernick option runs. The Niners have already beaten the Pack, the Patriots and the Saints this year, and beat the Saints in last year's playoffs; they can handle high-powered passing attacks.
- Seattle over Atlanta. I'll stick with the upset even though I'm losing a lot of faith in it. Seattle's pass rush has been inconsistent all year, and now they're without Chris Clemons. Easy to see Matt Ryan sitting back and picking them apart. Marshawn Lynch doesn't appear to be 100%, either. That early start time is also a big worry. Seattle comes out sleepwalking as badly as they did in Washington, they'll be behind 28-0 before you can finish your nachos. Don't be surprised if I make a last-second change here.
- New England over Houston. Their meeting last month says it all for me. Unlike the 49ers, the Texans haven't shown they can handle high-powered passing attacks.

I was 1-3 picking the over in all four games last weekend, but I'm trying the same thing this weekend. The percentages have to even out, don't they?

* Pro Football Weekly discusses the Rams' WR quandary, which will be a major quandary if they have to replace Danny Amendola in the slot with Austin Pettis as the article entertains.

* STLToday tracked down the whereabouts of the 2011 Rams. 28 players from that team did not finish the 2012 season on an NFL roster. I would like to suggest one correction to the article, which says Jason Brown retired last offseason. Watching his play in that season, it's clear he actually retired in September '11.

* Other ex-Rams news (other than the Hall of Fame, which will be my next post):
- Fendi Onobun and Brody Eldridge have been signed to reserve/future contracts by the Bears.

-$-

No comments: