Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Ted Ginn & the 13th pick

(4/20/07)
As my mock draft slooooowly evolves, I'm finding every reason to believe the Rams will have a shot at at least one of these defensive players:

* Amobi Okoye, though I think he'll go at least top 6;

* Jamaal Anderson, though Minn, Atl, Hou and SF all figure to at least be thinking of him;

* Adam Carriker, another consideration for SF;

* Leon Hall, who more than likely goes in the top 10;

* and Alan Branch, who's all over the map. I find the chances of Gaines Adams or Laron Landry falling to #13 to be next to nil.

The worst scenario I can conjure goes: Okoye to Wash, Anderson to Minn, Landry to Atl, Levi Brown to Miami, Hall to Hou, Carriker to SF, Patrick Willis to Buffalo. It means the player who's falling is Brady Quinn instead of a defensive player, and it means that Branch is the best defensive option the Rams have available.

It's also about the only scenario where I'd consider taking Ted Ginn at #13. The Ram defense is too awful to use a first-round pick on a 4th WR/kick returner. I admit I need to read up more on Branch. But what I hear so far is, Jimmy Kennedy Jr.

If Branch is the best defensive player available at 13, I'd take Ginn.

No comments: