Thursday, January 22, 2009

DraftView: Mel Kiper's mock draft

This will kick off draft coverage on RamView for 2009. With the Rams drafting second overall for the second straight year, 2009's draft will again be crucial to the long-term future of the franchise. A couple of years of high picks can turn a franchise right around if done right (see: Penguins, Pittsburgh), or just make your team a historical laughingstock if done wrong (see: Lions, Detroit).

Out of courtesy, here's the link to Mel Kiper's current mock (the first one of his I'm aware of).

My notes: It sounds like a LOT of mocks are going to project Andre Smith to the Rams. I'm torn, with the little I know right now. There's a lot of sentiment that Smith's not even the best tackle available, let alone the best player available. It sure seems like Michael Crabtree would rank as the BPA of this draft, and it's not like the Rams couldn't use him. And as much as I would like to cashier Alex Barron and put some new blood at RT, is that the team's biggest need? Well, it sure is if they don't bring Orlando Pace back, but if Aaron Curry, who Billy Devaney has already said he loves, is a run-stopper, I don't know how this awful run defense can pass on him from a needs standpoint. So right now, my pick is Crabtree, because after last year's draft, I've become a BPA guy. Curry is my needs pick.

Some more: I believe the Rams need to be one of those teams that trades up into the bottom half of the first round this year. Rather than sitting and keeping their fingers crossed that Rey Maualuga (won't) or Alex Mack (might) fall to them, they need to deal up and get their guy.

A little more: I'm happy for him, but surprised to see Jeremy Maclin in the top 10. I think he's a pretty big step down from Crabtree. I didn't see Maclin taking over any games this year. And as for Vontae Davis, I don't see it, never did. He was not a difference-making player in any Illini game I watched, especially the Missouri game. Bigger Illini fans than me complain the team played too-soft coverage, and that opponents threw away from Davis, so that is worth considering in the overall analysis.

Also, Mel: you've got the Chiefs picking a QB when Tyler Thigpen emerged as one of their few bright spots, when they have an offensive line still under construction and their pick of the top tackle prospects, and when they had one of the worst pass rushes ever? (TEN sacks last year? Are you kidding me? TEN?)

Better think that one over again, Draft Guru.

Kiper's first round 1-16

Pick Team Player Position College
1DetroitMatthew StaffordQBGeorgia
2St. LouisAndre SmithOTAlabama
3Kansas CityMark SanchezQB USC
4 SeattleMichael Crabtree WR Texas Tech
5 Cleveland Aaron CurryLBWake Forest
6 CincinnatiJason Smith OTBaylor
7OaklandJeremy Maclin WRMissouri
8 Jacksonville Eugene Monroe OT Virginia
9 Green Bay Malcolm Jenkins CBOhio St.
10 San FranciscoAaron Maybin DE/OLBPenn St.
11 BuffaloBrandon PettigrewTEOklahoma St.
12 DenverB.J. Raji DTBoston College
13 WashingtonBrian OrakpoDETexas
14 New Orleans Vontae Davis CB Illinois
15Houston Everette Brown DEFlorida St.
16 San Diego Knowshon Moreno RBGeorgia

No comments: