Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Mock draft crunching, 4/2

At nfl.com, Pat Kirwan has Vernon Gholston going #1 overall and Chris Long to the Rams. The way his first round shakes out, I'd be between Sam Baker and Antoine Cason in the 2nd round. Thomas, Hardy and Sweed are his first round WRs, leaving me not really big right now on the remaining WR prospects in the 2nd round.
RamView selections: 1 - Chris Long 2 - Sam Baker, though I'm waffling

Vic Carucci goes with Chris Long to Miami, Jake Long to the Rams. Gholston goes sixth. Carucci's mock is fairly, well, let's say different, with a bizarre seven DBs going in the first round and a first round nod for Calais Campbell. Really? James Hardy's available in this scenario; unfortunately for him, he has dropped off RamView's board thanks to the knowledge that he's a woman-beater. Taking Jake Long first does work great in this mock, though, because the Rams would likely be able to choose between Philip Merling and Quentin Groves in the second round. Baker and Cason would also be available, as would a curve ball in RB Jonathan Stewart. But even if I took Long or Gholston for the Rams at #2, if the board is still that well-stacked in the second round, I'm going DE again, or trading down for a bushel of picks.
RamView selections: 1 - Vernon Gholston 2 - Philip Merling. Pass. Rush.

Scott Wright hasn't updated the mock at nfldraftcountdown since St. Patrick's Day. It's still Jake Long first, with the Rams taking Chris Long in the 1st and Mario Manningham in the 2nd.
RamView selections: 1 - Chris Long 2 - Baker or Cason, still waffling

draftdaddy hasn't updated its mock since 3/20. They still go with Chris Long first, Vernon Gholston to the Rams. I'll update my scenario, though:
RamView selections: 1 - Gholston 2 - Devin Thomas

Walterfootball's five-round mock as of 3/27:
1 - Gholston 2 - Anthony Collins 3 - Manningham 4 - Steve Justice 5 - Ali Highsmith
RamView selections: I'm still right on board with this draft. I haven't seen Collins quite this high before. He's probably worth it, or Baker could go there instead. I'm fine with Manningham as a third-rounder. And I'm big on drafting a center. In the 5th, I'd prefer Bruce Davis or Marcus Griffin, with Lavelle Hawkins and Steve Slaton temptingly, and surprisingly, available.

Closing with the big drafttek seven-round draft: (drafttek pretty much updates its mock daily)
1 - Chris Long 2 - Early Doucet 3 - Cliff Avril 4 - Andre Woodson 5 - Patrick Lee
6a - Caleb Campbell 6b - Fernando Velasco 7a - Spencer Larsen Mr. Irrelevant - Jerome Felton

RamView selections:
1 - Chris Long
2 - Sam Baker unless I become a big Doucet fan
3 - Earl Bennett, though I like how drafttek's going after pass rushers for the Rams.
4 - Josh Barrett (WTF, drafttek? ANDRE WOODSON?)
5 - I'd sure take Lee if he's still there; he's a 2nd or 3rd-rounder in most mocks.
6a - Tommy Blake. I've got two sixth-rounders; I'll gamble with one.
6b - Terrence Wheatley for value
7a - Malik Jackson
7b - Shannon Boatman

Hard to see the DBs shaking out like this. I also didn't get my center.

3 1/2 weeks to go!

No comments: