Thursday, August 1, 2013

RamView, 8/1: Injury and RFA odds update

St. Louis Rams
Here's how the Rams stand injury-wise heading into Thursday evening's 5:30 practice. The annual training camp hamstring epidemic has begun:

* Nick Johnson sat out practice Wednesday due to a hamstring injury. Assuming his status is day-to-day.

* Jabara Williams also sat out practice Wednesday due to a hamstring injury. Also figuring he's day-to-day for now.

* A hamstring injury also has Andrew Helmick out; he'll probably miss the first three preseason games based on vague estimates reported so far.

* The latest injured rookie free agent is DT Al Lapuaho, out Wednesday due to a hand injury. I would think that's day-to-day.

* There has been optimism that Matt Daniels (ACL) will be ready to return to the field soon. I'd guess there's a fair chance of seeing him at the Dome practice on Saturday, hopefully sooner.

* Jermelle Cudjo (foot) was only supposed to miss a week when news of his injury originally came out, so I'll put him on "any day now" status like Daniels.

* Lance Kendricks (knee) isn't expected back for 2-3 weeks. More guessing, I'll target him for the third preseason game.


* I'll probably report these for the last time - rookie free agents out for the season: WR C.J. Akins (Achilles), LB Philip Steward (Achilles), OT Braden Brown (back), G Kevin Saia (foot).

* Sammy Brown hasn't practiced since I believe Friday due to a calf injury. That's been a while, so I'd call his availability for practice at the Dome Saturday questionable.

Also questionable for practice at the Dome Saturday: RamView, unfortunately. I'll be lucky enough to get home tonight, as, ironically, my car is on the way down for the count due to the heater core going bad. In August.

* With a week of practice in the books, let's re-check the odds I put on the rookie free agents I got profiles done for. All barely-founded speculation, of course:
- Sean Hooey (25%): improved over this past weekend from what I saw. I think his chances are improving. Have to see him in pads to know better. Right now I think he's practice squad.
- Daren Bates (20%): quiet camp, going to need to hear some special teams noise from him. Chances declining.
- Terrell Brown (1%): good call since he got cut before training camp.
- Benny Cunningham (55%): seems to have a good shot at beating out Terrance Ganaway, so I'll leave his odds there even though he won't need to be "redshirted" like I originally guessed.
- Robert Steeples (35%): has flashed, but his competition's also been very good. Think he's PS right now.
- Cannon Smith (20%): cut before training camp, so now 0%.
- Kevin Saia (20%): injured reserve. I think he could have hung in there a while otherwise.
- Andre Martin (30%): quiet camp, also looking for special teams noise from him. I think Steeples is the best of the RFA DBs in camp. Not sure if anyone else makes the roster or PS.
- Garrett Goebel (10%): upgrade him to 25%. Cudjo injury has improved his chances.
- Phillip Steward (70%): injured reserve. Never practiced.
- Brett Baer (5%): hasn't looked bad but isn't making this team.
- Emory Blake (45%): downgrade to 20%. I like how he plays but his competition is better than I thought it was. Austin Pettis doesn't appear to be in any jeopardy and Andrew Helmick's put together a good case for a spot somewhere. I'd put Helmick at 35% right now, though I never would have had him that high before camp started.
- Gerald Rivers (5%): upgrade him to 35%. I really underestimated a couple of the guys who didn't play as college seniors. Reports on Rivers have been good, and he's certainly putting pressure on Sammy Brown's ailing calf.
- Eric Stevens (10%): blocking's going to have to improve.
- Braden Brown (45%): injured reserve. Never practiced.
- Jonathan Stewart (40%): downgrade to 20%. Steward's injury should have created an opportunity for him, but somebody else is climbing the depth chart faster, and Will Witherspoon also creates a roster spot problem for Jonathan.
- Cody Davis (60%): hasn't been bad, hasn't been as strong as I thought he'd be, either. Matt Giordano's signing drops his odds. Has to shine on special teams. Could be in trouble otherwise depending on how well Matt Daniels comes back. Downgrade to 40%.
- Philip Lutzenkirchen (45%): I've been sold on the guy since I first laid eyes on him Saturday. Practice squad at worst if he can block.
- Ray Ray Armstrong (10%): my biggest miss to be sure. Armstrong has been the strongest of the rookie free agents so far and has been promoted to second-string. Upgrade him to 75%. Looks like he's making the 53-man roster to me; can't see how he doesn't at least make practice squad.

Next year, I take those college safeties who played as glorified linebackers more seriously. Also guys who missed their final season as long as they're exceptional athletes.

-$-



No comments: