Friday, April 29, 2011

Projecting pick #47

In USA Today's second-round mock draft posted this morning, Nate Davis has the Rams taking North Carolina WR Greg Little. So yes, that's TWO Tar Heels suspended all of last season for the Rams.

Little's got outstanding hands and size and would make a lot of sense there. I also get the vibe of a hot dog player and significant diva. And as I just mentioned, the Rams already have a player suspended from UNC last season (Yes, I KNOW the other player is Marvin Austin. I don't have to worry about him in this scenario; he's projected to Denver at 36.) I'd rather settle the Rams' major need at safety, in the highly unlikely event Aaron Williams slips to 50 as Davis projects.

Todd McShay's mock second round on ESPN.com gives the Rams GAAH! Torrey Smith. I'd sooner plunge needles into my eyes. In his scenario, Williams is gone; I'd take Mikel Leshoure, who McShay has going 57th, or Little (62), or almost any other receiver EXCEPT Torrey Smith.

Mel Kiper shows he hasn't done quite enough research by projecting Leonard Hankerson to the Rams at 47. The Rams don't like Hankerson. In his scenario, the Rams also have Little, and Leshoure to pick from. Also Ras-I Dowling, and the Rams NEVER pass up on a big corner, and, yes, Marvin Austin.

Every mock second round I've seen to date has Torrey Smith available at 47, so it looks like I'll be sweating out the second round tonight. Little's about the only receiver left I'd take at 47, and I don't even like him that much. But he'd be a far cry better than Darrius Heyward-Avery.

The Rams should either use their second-round pick on Leshoure, or get their safety situation squared away. Dark horse, Mason Foster for the hole at Will.

-$-

Update: Don Banks of Sports Illustrated is now projecting Torrey Smith to the Rams, with at least a half-dozen players on the board I would much rather have. Titus Young, Marcus Gilchrist, Mikel Leshoure, Greg Little, Randall Cobb, Ryan Williams, heck, even Leonard Hankerson.

It seems I am left with little choice. The only way to keep the Rams from drafting Torrey Smith is to prepare a draft page for him.

-$$-

No comments: