Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Rams indeed sign Jared Cook

A false report this afternoon from a fake Twitter account has turned out to be at least partially true, as the Rams have signed tight end Jared Cook from the Titans. Actually, I kind of wish the fake Twitter report had been right. Cook got even more expensive after that report; he's rumored to be getting $8 million a year for the next five years.

So, the Rams won't pay Danny Amendola - so long for sure, btw - $6 million a year because of his injury history, but are fine paying $8 mil a year to a receiver who's never cracked 50 receptions in a season. Amendola did that in 2012 despite missing five games. So no, RamView isn't really thrilled with this signing; I didn't like it when I thought it was for $7 mil a year. The theory appears to be that Cook is going to be a big-play field-stretching TE, a home-run hitter to replace the Rams' singles-hitters. Wish I saw that from his 2012 stats. 44 catches, 4 TDs, less than 12 yards a catch on a team that didn't really have a lot at WR. Hmm. I get some more time to think this one over; I would have loved signing Cook for $4 million a year, six I could have lived with, eight is simply too much. He does have youth on his side (25), and Sam Bradford should be happy to have a TE to throw to who (we think) knows what he's doing out there. Still, $8 million?

Having spent $11 or $12 million in cap room (just a guess) keeping the Jeff Fisher Titan Pipeline in operating order today, I'm not sure where the rest of the Rams' free agency funds are coming from, but Jake Long was still due to visit Rams Park tomorrow at last word, and the Rams are also pursuing Lions safety Louis Delmas. (Delmas visited Rams Park Tuesday night.)

Updates as I get caught up.

-$-

No comments: