Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Combine re-observances: offense

I haven't gotten to review the defensive player workouts at the combine but have a few things to add to my observation from this weekend's offensive workouts...

* Jordy Nelson. I miscast him in my mind as a small receiver, since it turns out he's 6'2". That puts his 4.5 40s in a different light. They're pretty nice times. I was championing going after DJ Hackett in free agency; Nelson, physically, anyway, is very similar.

* Rashard Mendenhall. He's 10-15 lbs. heavier than Darren McFadden and still turned in a 40 time in the 4.3's. May be the overlooked performance of the combine, by me for sure, anyway. Mendenhall made himself worthy of high first-round talk from everybody, not just Mike Mayock.

* Chris Johnson. His 40 time was adjusted down to 4.24, which I believe is the combine's fastest time.

* NFL Network. Once you got past the original three hours scheduled for Sunday's workouts, things got much better. There was a lot of coverage of the individual RB drills, making up somewhat for their other failures.

* Kevin Smith. Didn't stand out to me in those drills as being really naturally fluid in changing direction. Not that it matters. He's going to be a devastating one-cut runner.

Hoping to do a quick review of the rest of free agency before the weekend, which will probably be my first chance to review the defensive workouts.

No comments: