Sunday, May 26, 2013

Rokevious Watkins update

The plot has thickened a little regarding the NFL's one-week suspension of Rams guard Rokevious Watkins for breaking the "substances of abuse" policy. Reports say that Watkins was not suspended because he tested positive for anything. Well, that's confusing. Why has Watkins been suspended at all? If he's been suspended for something along the lines of an arrest for a minor charge of possession, (see: Mikel Leshoure last year) shouldn't the arrest have made news somewhere?

In any event, Watkins doesn't appear to have lost any status with head coach Jeff Fisher, who in fact thinks Watkins is getting a raw deal from the league:

...(W)e’ve been aware of it for quite some time... I’m not going to go into specifics of the suspension. We respect the league’s decision, but personally and respectfully, I disagree with the suspension and the circumstances regarding the suspension.

Nobody's being very helpful on the details, including Watkins himself:

It was a mistake on my part and I take full blame for it... I appreciate coach supporting me in this situation and the Rams for supporting me also. I just want to move forward and hopefully keep fighting for a starting job.

I'm going to have to throw my hands up on this one. Without failing a drug test, missing a drug test or getting arrested, I don't know what Watkins did to run afoul of the NFL's policy, especially with the degree to which Fisher is willing to defend him.

-$-

No comments: