Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Kroenke: "stepping up for pro football in St. Louis"


E. Stan has finally talked to local media about his attempted takeover of the Rams.

Bernie Miklasz article

Here's a few quotes from Kroenke I hope I never have to pull out again, because if I do, it'll be because he's unreasonably doubled back on public promises:

"I'm going to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis. Just as I did everything that I could to bring the team to St. Louis in 1995. I believe my actions speak for themselves."

"There's a track record. I've always stepped up for pro football in St. Louis. And I'm stepping up one more time."

"I'm born and raised in Missouri. I've been a Missourian for 60 years. People in our state know me. People know I am an honorable guy."

"I'll do my damnedest [to keep the Rams in St. Louis]."

All well and good. I'm glad to hear that it sounds like Kroenke is actually still on St. Louis' side.

I would like to point out a couple of things. For having been a Missourian for 60 years, Kroenke seems to have completely forgotten the nickname of the state. You know, the "Show-Me State"? The local reaction should not have surprised him in any way after his press release regarding taking over the team made no mention of the team's future in St. Louis at all. Additionally, for a guy who already owns several sports franchises, you'd certainly expect better media savvy from an owner than Kroenke has demonstrated up until now with the Rams purchase.

However, I, at least, should give Kroenke more credit for going into the machinations he's going into with his other franchises in order to be able to pull off this purchase. That alone shows commitment on his part and is something that should go down in his favor.

Kroenke -is- a (potential) NFL owner. Therefore, anything he ever says should be taken with a grain of salt. I trust NFL owners like I trust, um, politicians I voted against.

But now that he's aboard with the Rams, it's good to hear (finally) that's he's also aboard with St. Louis.

No comments: