Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Training camp stock report, 8/3


Based on what I've seen and read on training camp so far, I thought I'd create a recurring feature offering my estimations of each player's stock. And since we're talking about stock, I thought I'd do it using stock market terms.

Let's also remember I'm as accountable for my ratings as most Wall Street firms have been for theirs over the years.

STRONG BUY: OJ Atogwe, Donnie Avery, Donnie Jones, Jason Smith. Having the visibly-best camps so far.

BLUE CHIPS: Josh Brown, James Butler, Steven Jackson, Randy McMichael, Will Witherspoon. Well-established high performers who give little cause for worry.

SMALL CAPS: Kenneth Darby, Daniel Fells, Bradley Fletcher, Larry Grant, James Laurinaitis, Chris Long, Laurent Robinson, Cliff Ryan, Darell Scott, David Vobora, Jonathan Wade. Younger players with significant upside.

VALUE STOCKS: Victor Adeyanju, Jason Brown, Mark Bulger, Chris Draft, Adam Goldberg, James Hall, Richie Incognito, Mike Karney, Leonard Little, Chris Massey, Mark Setterstrom. Steady veterans with some upside.

EARNINGS SURPRISES: Craig Dahl, Gary Gibson, Roy Schuening, Hollis Thomas. Veterans performing much better than anticipated.

CDs: Billy Bajema, Alex Barron, Jacob Bell, Brock Berlin, Kyle Boller, Antwon Burton, Keenan Burton, Eric Butler, Tim Carter, Chris Chamberlain, Ronald Curry, Brooks Foster, Samkon Gado, Tye Hill, Todd Johnson, Eric Moore, Chris Ogbannaya, Derek Stanley, Phil Trautwein. CDs may be steady investments, but they're never going to be a cause for excitement.

PASSBOOK ACCOUNTS: C.J. Ah You, K.C. Asiodu, Eric Bassey, Ian Campbell, Dominic Douglas, Jerome Johnson, Tim Mattran, David Roach, Daniel Sanders, Eric Young. Passbook investments are an uphill fight because they don't even beat inflation.

STOCKS WITH HIGH BETAS: Ron Bartell. I don't understand high-beta stocks any more than I understand Ron Bartell's performance in camp so far. I would hope he will quickly be upgraded to at least value stock status.

PROMISING MICROCAPS: Nate Jones, Justin King, Cord Parks. Young players performing surprisingly well.

PINK SHEETS: Roger Allen, Marcus Brown, Jarrett Byers, Keith Null, Sean Walker. Young players with ability but with pretty long odds of being fruitful investments.

EARNINGS DISAPPOINTMENTS: Adam Carriker, Quinton Culberson, John Greco. Bill Coats blogged yesterday that Carriker has yet to assert himself in camp, which I find inexcusable. Pick it up! I like Culberson myself but the coaches must not; he has dropped to third string. Greco's off to a slow start with injuries and I expect him to get off this list in short order.

SELL: Quincy Butler, Joe Klopfenstein, Antonio Pittman. The last two in particular might as well be AIG.

Reminder: Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

1 comment:

J said...

Nice -
This is great. I know quite a bit more about the Rams than I do about the stock market, but this is a perfect way to divide up the players.

PS - cut our losses on Klop!

-Jeff
http://www.ramsgab.com